Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Angry tatonka.


These buffalo are angry. To the right of the photo is a sharp precipice that made me feel like that little kid in Jurassic Park when the t-rex is sniffing around their vehicle. The comparison between the movie and the the actual yellowstone does not end there. The question that goes through my mind is: just how artificial can we make our environment? Can we think of nature as an independent system anymore? I know I've got the mad scientist look down:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

as you are aware i just finished re-reading brave new world.. talk about artificial environment. but what about the movement to incorporate progress and nature? (for example.. green building.) do they really have to be in conflict?

Ares said...

I'm talking about "Nature" with a capital N. Once humans start to mess with something it is no longer natural. Consider the genetically modified humans in BNW, they are no longer natural beings. I think the same idea can be extended to large systems, like the park. Once it reaches a certain level of human control/management and interference can it be considered a natural system following some non-human directed path?