Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bottom Bracket


After huffing a fair number parts per million of liquid wrench and allowing myself to the machine shop for some industrial-sized wrenches, the bb is out. A lot of rust in there, one of the bearing rings was chewed to shit, probably the initial problem, but after a quick cleaning everything looks reusable (no superfluous spending here, mom!) I replaced the bearings with new shiny and presumably perfectly spherical ones. After two exams today I'll look forward to some zen bike work tomorrow. I filed the vertical dropouts a bit to give myself some adjustability (the red line says that's not a word apparently) chain-tension wise. Lots of grease and I should be good to go-o-o. Plus the roads are clearing up a bit so I should be able to hit it. Thanks to the bike-mechanics at Summit for hooking it up with some new bearings.

No comments: